Revisited: The 5 Best TV Shows

I know, I know. I've written this one already. Well, rest assured, this revisitation won't be as complicated. First, second, third, and fourth places on that list all stay as is.

It's that fifth entry that's been bothering me. For the record, I do still like Robin Hood, though some separation of time has convinced me that only about half the third season is really worthwhile. I'm also still a fan of Burn Notice, but only in small doses.

Arrow squandered two seasons of goodwill via what I can only quantify as "CW-ness."

So none of those three are really worthy of being in that fifth place anymore. Agents of SHIELD is still, happily, amazing. Actually getting more amazing as time goes on. So that's pretty cool. Does that mean it get's to occupy this spot all on its lonesome?

That'd sure be swell, wouldn't it? But no, I'm really pretty terrible at making up my mind. So here are my additions to "#5 - Whatever Hasn't Disappointed Me Yet/Whatever I'm Watching Now."

Daredevil



Yes, this was last year. Yes, there's a new Marvel/Netflix show, which is much more recent, in Jessica Jones. And yes, I'm still sticking with Daredevil. I'm one episode away from finishing Jessica Jones, and thus far... I mean, it's good, but the characters aren't nearly as endearing as the characters from Daredevil. Also, the moment of victory in the first season of Daredevil was soooooo amazingly cathartic, I have a hard time seeing Jessica Jones catching up. Can't wait for season two.

Agent Carter


Yes, this was last year as well, though season two is starting in a week. That first season was fantastic, though, very similar to Agents of SHIELD in all the right ways, but just different enough to not seem like the same thing. Again, the victory at the end of the season was brilliant, and I cannot (seriously CAN NOT) stress enough how much I loved Hayley Atwell as the titular Agent Carter. There are not enough strong female characters of her caliber in Hollywood, and I'm going to jump on the bandwagon of wondering why I can't find an action figure of her at Wal-Mart.

Agents of SHIELD


The Marvel Cinematic Universe is seriously rocking my world these days. Are there other good tv shows on right now? Don't care.

The reasons from my original article as to why I like Agents of SHIELD still stand. Characters I love, interesting, engaging stories. Clever, clever writing. It's midway through season three right now, and it's just as lovely as I'd expected it to be back at the beginning of season one. So I'll keep watching, and of all the shows in the number five position, this one has been captivating me for the longest. So if I had to choose, this one would be my favorite.

The Great British Baking Show


I cannot describe adequately why I love this show so much. There's a season on Netflix, just go watch it. It's the best cooking competition show ever. And I mean that. EVER.
                                                       

SOOO, that's pretty much it. Those are the four vying for fifth. I'll give an honorable mention to The Shannara Chronicles, but mostly because the first two episodes didn't suck and that show is the fulfillment of a childhood wish of mine. I have wanted a Shannara TV show for almost twenty years. So of course I really want to love it, which means I'll likely find a way to.

BUT... it's on MTV. I'm trying to keep my enthusiasm appropriately curbed.

Comments