Six Years Ago Today

EDIT: I'm not going to remove this post at any point, mainly because I want my two perfect kiddos to know that yes, this person did exist, and yes, I was deeply in love with her. Many things followed, and within a year of this post I didn't recognize her anymore. They'll get the details from me personally, eventually. But this post, as a snapshot of the heights before the fall, is something I think they deserve to read someday. Complete with the grammar mistake I just noticed below. Which I will leave. Have you kids been paying attention in English class?

----------------------------------------

I'm a crazy person. Crack open your Merriam-Websters and look up "crazy." You uh, you won't see my picture there. They don't usually put pictures in dictionaries, since when you're trying to include every word in the English language, space is something of a premium. Not sure why you were expecting to see my picture. Not gonna lie, that's pretty odd.

But you will notice several of the available definitions describe me to one extent or another. I can provide some empirical evidence that I'm crazy by way of a list of my hobbies, in case you're not convinced.
  • I currently have 14 individual computers sitting in a room in my basement (there's 15 total in my house, but one is upstairs).
  • I am in the process of ordering tables to consolidate and organize all of those computers on. Each will have power, each will be accessible.
  • I almost always have some inexpensive gadget coming in the mail from China.
  • I have two blogs that I work on regularly which require time spent watching movies and TV and playing video games.
  • I'm also writing and illustrating a webcomic that I swear is going to start updating again soon.
  • I am in progress on somewhere between 18 and 25 individual writing projects.
  • I have a suite of dedicated disc golf discs and two portable baskets.
There, convinced? I'm a little all over the place in terms of what my actual projects are, and somehow I've convinced myself I can actually keep up with all this stuff. Like I said, crazy.

But you know what? I never get bored. I've always got something I can do that interests me, and crucially, I don't catch any flack for it at home. My sainted wife keeps a rein on me, of course. The fact that we have a house with food in it is proof of that. But she supports me in my interests and provides much needed but lovingly offered perspective on what a reasonable extent for those hobbies is.

And that is just one of the many reasons why marrying my wife is, categorically and without question, the best thing to ever happen in my life. That event was six years ago, and I wouldn't hesitate to say that the past six years have been the best I've had.

I am, frankly, astonished with the person my wife is and is becoming. She impresses me with the breadth of her knowledge and her willingness to learn. The ease with which she understands, especially the ease with which she empathizes with anyone, from any condition, background, or walk of life, amazes me. Her ability to demonstrate caring and consideration, instinctually and without effort, is beyond anything I've seen anywhere else.

Beyond being smart, considerate, and empathetic, she is talented. She learns things she's never done before, no matter what kind of stuff it is, as if she's been hiding all these secret hobbies the whole time I've known her. Anything from crochet to yard work, music to home repair, tax preparation to weight lifting. She takes to new challenges like she's a fish, the whole world is water, and the rest of us are particularly clumsy chipmunks wearing bulky scuba gear. It's uncanny.

She's also a spiritual giant, probably stemming from her naturally empathetic nature, and as with everything else, she understands instinctively feelings and impressions that I, frankly, don't notice. And I've already said that she allows my hobbies, but so much more than that, she's the most supportive human being I've ever met. She learns about my hobbies enough to advise me when I need it, she encourages me when I need it, and she's always happy to do it. It's not just me, either. She supports our two sons in everything, teaching, caring for, and encouraging them in just the ways they need.

She is an amazing mother, an excellent wife, an astonishing human being in general. She is also insanely, unreasonably, inhumanly attractive. Y'all out there can't see the rest of this stuff as clearly as I can, probably, but surely we all agree on this one. An otherworldly, inescapable beauty.


So, needless to say (considering I've said it in a few dozen different ways), I'm an incredibly lucky person. Why the flying snot-moth she chooses to hang out with me, I may never know. I've spent the past six years struggling to figure out what the heck she ever saw in me, and then trying to live like that person. She makes me better. She completes me. And I love her more dearly than all the clichés in the world.

Yeah, that didn't end quite like you expected, did it? For some reason she also puts up with my humor. That may just be the greatest miracle of all.

Comments