You Forgot About Harry Gregson-Williams, Didn't You?

I love movie soundtracks. That's obvious for you frequenters out there, but I wanted to start with that so there wasn't any confusion. A good soundtrack can make me enjoy an otherwise utterly sub-par movie. Soundtracks are important.

As such, I tend to keep tabs on what my favorite composers are doing. Currently I keep careful watch on John Williams, Brian Tyler, and Henry Jackman, a wary eye on Michael Giacchino, and a curious eye on Junkie XL. They're my favorites, and I give just about everything they touch a listen. Also, RIP James Horner. It was a couple of years ago, but I'm still torn up over his death.

Anywho, the other day I was putting together a playlist of music from the X-Men series, and I pulled up the soundtrack for X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I started listening, thought "hey, this is pretty good," and then looked at the composer.

It was Harry Gregson-Williams. I had completely forgotten about him.

Listed at the bottom of the album view in iTunes were a number of soundtracks by him, and can I tell you? There is a lot of good stuff in his repertoire. My first introduction to his work was The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. I really like that soundtrack, as well as the sequel, which Gregson-Williams also wrote. He also did the music for a bunch of other stuff you've at least heard of, including The Martian, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, the remake of Total Recall, Prince of Persia, Cowboys and Aliens, Deja Vu, Kingdom of Heaven, Shrek 2 & 3... etc.

He's been all over the place for a few decades now, and I know I like his music. Prince of Persia and Kingdom of Heaven were particularly good, along with the Chronicles of Narnia movies. He's pretty prolific, and I like his stuff. And yet, I absolutely always forget about him completely when I'm checking up on what my favorite composers are doing. And I'd be willing to bet you do too.

That's really all I wanted to say. The guy is good, and deserves to be mentioned along with those other composers I listed up there. So let's all try and remember Harry... Greg... Will...

Harry Wilson-Gregiams? Greg Willy-Harrison? Willy-Harry Gregson? Grash-Mash McTonerson?

Who were we talking about again?

Comments