Endgame

Look, this is gonna be kinda short. It'll be short because The Avengers: Endgame is a cruise missile of perfectly constructed fan-service that is laser-targeted at a giant red X painted on the ground labelled "target audience", and I am standing right in the middle of that X, eyes to the sky, excited about my upcoming oblivion. They could not have been aiming this movie at me more obviously if they'd put "For Caleb Spendlove" at the bottom of the flipping title card.

Didn't happen, but it would have been cool.

Yes, I know nobody who made this movie knows who I am. But I am such a perfect audience member for this film that I cannot possibly have anything objective to say regarding it. I honestly can't recall if there was anything less than perfect about the production because I was constantly shoveling down a veritable buffet of call-backs and references.

If you love Marvel movies, if you've seen them all several times and you obsess over the little details in every film, you will love Endgame. I sure did. I'll be seeing it again next week sometime. And probably again next weekend. And maybe even the week after that.

And that's it. I could sit here and geek out for thousands of words, dumping minor and major spoilers along the way. And if you really want to geek out over this movie with me because you're also in that target audience, feel free to message me. But for the rest of you I don't know what else I can really say other than "I'm super biased, and my opinion cannot be objective in this case, but I loved this more than just about every other MCU movie, including even the original Avengers."

It was basically perfect for me. It's elevated Infinity War very far simply by association. If you're a trekkie, it's the same sort of send off to the original Avengers as we got for the crew of the Enterprise in The Undiscovered Country. Even the soundtrack was packed to the gills with call-backs.

The only spoiler I'll give is that the end credits surprised me. After a full decade of MCU films and their increasingly convoluted end credits sequences, Endgame tricked me into sitting all the way through the credits for absolutely nothing.

Nothing other than the chance to read the names of some of the hundreds of individuals responsible for the pure entertainment ecstasy I'd just watched. So well played, MCU. And thank you to each of those individuals.

Your movie absolutely rocks.

Comments