My Valley

A few years back I wrote a song. It was actually just a collection of loops from an Apple program called Garage Band that I threw together kind of haphazardly. But it ended up sounding pretty good, and I called the finished product 'My Valley'. I've been debating ever since why.

I think that in the end the song struck some chord within me, and it resonated. It spoke to some aspect of my soul that I guess didn't get a whole lot of face time. The part of me that loves to sit outside and stare into the depths of space and ponder on the solemnities of eternity. The part of me that yearns to take to the mountains and never come down. The part of me that finds something enchantingly beautiful in a single drop of dew. The part of me that qualifies me to be a "sensitive guy", whatever that means. And so the title 'My Valley' has become some kind of a quest for me, somewhere between a slogan and a wish. The desire is to find my own patch of turf where I am free to be myself, free to state my mind, and free to feel however I want to. I find this sort of place in the gaps between the stars, in the forests and the ancient hills they stand on. No, I don't own a valley, but in the course of my journey I'm going to make My Valley a part of me and carry it wherever I go. This is not My Valley, but in the gaps between the ones and zeros that make up this digital world, it can find another outlet.

My Valley

My valley lies amidst the trees,
'neath a quilt of fallen leaves,
under clouds as soft as down,
secluded from the world 'round.

There beneath the spongy loam
lies a secret, little known
abroad, out in the world wide,
my valley keeps it safe inside.

There are there, between the hills,
down inside my valleys rills
places that I haven't been,
places no one else has seen.

But if you're lucky, you may find
a doorway that will lead inside,
and you may see it, through my eyes,
the place wherein my valley lies.

Comments

  1. Dude, did you write that poem? It's seriously excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ben Spendlove: Yes, yes indeed, in one of those random fits of creativity that I seem to have little control over. I was probably just as surprised as you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, no surprise here. You've been writing great poetry for years! This one, however, seems more Tolkienish; more picturesque; less dark than pre-mish ones. Yeah, seriously excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment