Wait... really? You said THAT?

Okay, so lets be honest here. Since when does an inside joke make a good story idea? Like, has that ever happened? There are exceedingly few things categorized as "inside jokes" that are funny if they didn't actually happen to you. Let's all think for a minute. If an inside joke is based on the experiences and conversations that exist between friends, and if that friendship (as all good friendships are) is made up of thousands of tiny little nuances that are only understood by those in that group, how can we expect everything that we think is funny to be funny to someone else?

I am of course, referring to the "You would have had to be there" thing. If it's not funny unless you were there... Why are you telling me? I suppose that you could have just not realized that it's only funny to the people that were there after you had already told me. That's fair enough. But when you tell me twice, and then proceed to tell someone else that I'm sitting next to, and all three times ended with, "Well, I guess you would have had to be there"... What the heck? Here's your hint, because we're all too polite to tell you; we don't care.

Sure, it was funny. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Really. Laughter really is one of the best medicines. So congrats on having a good time. But holy crap, I don't want to hear about it. If I ask you how your day was and one of these situations comes to mind, don't launch directly into the story. I won't get it. Just smile as you silently relive it in your mind and say, "It was great. I had a good time." And if I ask what happened just say, "You would have had to be there" right at the beginning. I'll stop asking. I can accept that.

I'm not crazy, am I? I'm not the only one that this happens to, right? In fact, I'll let you participate. Constipated spiders. There are two of them?!? That movie.

And that is hysterical, I promise. If you were there, you're laughing (okay, like... two people, that I can think of). But if you weren't... well, I don't expect you to laugh. Because to you, it isn't funny. So my plea to the world is please stop throwing these out and expecting me to laugh! I'm sorry, but I just don't get it! I may be the only one, I'll admit, but honestly I don't think I am. So when I give you the "Did you honestly just say that?" look, that's your cue to be done.

Yes, that look you're giving me now. That's the one.

Comments