Response-Ability

I had a good friend once. And he once asked me to do him a favor. One day he said in frustrated tones, "Spendlove, fix this weather!"

He was, of course, referring to the downpour of rain that was threatening to turn into another blizzard at any second. Now I've got a pretty powerful personality, especially when it comes to those that I am quite well acquainted with. And let me tell you, the weather and I are very well acquainted. But even still, I think that most of you will agree that this was a slightly unfair request.

As I'm sure most of you have assumed by now, he was kidding. And if you were too, um, bizarre to assume that, then let me tell you; he was kidding. He did not expect me to be able to change the weather. He knew that that was way outside my ability. I knew it too. I know I'm capable of quite a bit, but I have few delusions (that I'm aware of) about what I can actually do.

But lets admit it. Doesn't everyone have something they wish they could change? Something  beyond their ability to change? Something that they just have to move on with in good faith and hope it will get better? How frustrating is that?

I'm not here to propose a solution, or something we can do to solve those problems that are part of our self-claimed responsibility but are totally beyond our ability to actually solve. I've just been plagued by quite a few of these things as of late, and have spent some time in thought over them. My conclusion is yeah, you can't do anything about it. But you are not alone. Absolutely not alone. We all have this roadblock in our lives. Sure all you can do is trust it will work out, but that doesn't mean you should give up on it. If you don't keep moving, you're never going to see if it will work out after all.

Keep on keepin' on, little camper. You can do this. We've all got your back. And yeah, I may have slipped into my Old-Man-Giving-Advice mode there, but seriously. Don't make yourself alone.

We really do have your back.

(And your pack, little camper. We stole that too)

Comments

  1. Very philosophical of you. And what you did to that camper was just mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I felt kinda bad afterwards.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment