Define "Nerd"

My wife just read the title for this post over my shoulder and responded "Caleb Spendlove".

Thanks, Dearest.

But honestly, I can't blame her. She came into this relationship with pots, pans, clothes, and a desire to get really good at cooking and keeping a clean, orderly home. (She's doing just splendidly, by the by)

I came into it with two Macs, a 15 year old Toshiba laptop, a PlayStation one, and enough software, media and speakers to kill a small horse.

Hmm...

Fact of the matter is, that's probably as good a definition as I need of nerd. I'm one. So how then would I define "nerd"? Obsessive. I tend to obsess over anything that catches my attention. Book series. Technology. Movies and music. Cars even. Yes, I've taken an interest in cars to an extent that can only be referred to as nerdy. So what is a nerd? Any regular person who obsesses over something in a relatively healthy way (over obsessing is called OCD, and they have medication for that). So the next time you call someone a nerd, think about it. Be careful you don't mean it as an insult, because they probably won't take it as one. Really, I'm kinda proud about my nerdyness.

But oh, don't even get me started on geeks.

Comments

  1. Now I'm wondering just exactly how software, media and speakers would kill a horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suffocation, Alberta. Or crushing it. Either one would probably do it. And heck, it probably wouldn't be too healthy for the horse to eat the stuff either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alberta's comment was EXACTLY what I was thinking.
    Oh, and by the way, you're welcome. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment