Wrestling

So I inadvertently got hit in the head by a fridge this week. But let me explain.

First off, you need to understand my feelings on "pro" wrestling. I think the WWE "World Wrestling Entertainment" (No longer the WWF my friends, that ended way back in the 90's) organization is the biggest joke of a "company" I've ever seen. They pretend to be like the NFL or NBA, but it's really just a glorified theatre group that's so thinly disguised as to make me wonder how they managed to convince mostly the entire state of West Virginia that it is an actual sporting organization. The shows themselves are hilarious to me. I actually enjoy watching the occasional fight for basically the same reason that the lightsaber duel in The Phantom Menace is cool. Well choreographed fighting is fun to watch. And you've got to respect some of those folks for being capable of the stuff that they do on that show. John Ceena, for example (Who I almost respect as an actor, too) once picked up The Big Show aka "The Worlds Biggest Athlete" (or "The Worlds Fattest Wrestler") on his back, and then had this other dude I can't remember jump on top. Easily 600 pounds all said and done.

Aside from the fights themselves being entertaining on a purely superficial level, however, I don't enjoy professional wrestling in the slightest. It bothers me on the same level that General Hospital and Grey's Anatomy bother me. It's really just a soap opera for men. Plain and simple. They have these characters that have only one personality trait and absolutely no ability to adapt to anything, and they write drama for them.  The difference is that the drama revolves around beating other people up and The World Heavyweight Championship rather than relationships. It's superficial and completely unbelievable. For example, The Undertaker has been on the show for twenty-something years. He's never been beaten. Or hadn't, until "Mister Wrestlemania", The Heartbreak Kid, finally beat him last year sometime. Ooh. Big Showdown. That was the headliner match (Everybody in West Virginia had a cow). But here's where it's unbelievable. He's been using the same finishing move for twenty years. This move involves him flipping his opponent upside-down so that his head is next to his knees and kneeling heavily, driving their weight and his down on their neck. Instant KO. My problem is this; twenty years and nobody has figured out how to counter that move? Even The Heartbreak Kid didn't counter it. He was just the only one to recover.

So essentially, I think "pro" wrestling is hilarious. So imagine my surprise when I got hit in the head by a fridge.

Don't worry, I'll see it coming next time.

Comments

  1. I felt that "pro" wrestling would make a great film. Show the wrestlers as men who are just coming in for a job, they are friends, difficult career decisions are made, etc.

    And then "The Wrestler" with Mickey Rourke was released. Dang it. It's a great film about a retired wrestler realizing that he has been left on the side of the road.

    You should check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment