5 Movies I Shouldn't Like But Do


There are films out there that suck. Some of them, like Plan 9 from Outer Space, suck so badly that they’ve developed a cult following. Others, like the Star Wars Holiday Special, suck so badly that demons erupt from the Hellmouth every time they’re played. But I don’t want to talk about those. I want to talk about mediocre movies that people saw, but didn’t rocket to the top of anyone’s personal movie leaderboards. I want to talk about movies that no one really hates, but lots of people don’t like for what are typically fair reasons. I want to talk about five of these outcast movies, specifically, because I just so happen to like them. Quite a bit. 

Stardust

I saw this in the theaters. I enjoyed it. Like, a lot. It’s a high adventure romp about a young man striving to prove to himself and the world around him that he isn’t a loser and he can amount to something. This is the kind of story I can get behind. The movie itself is remarkably good fun, between the feel of the world and the seven brothers. And if you’re not convinced, I’ve got a concept for you. Cross-dressing Pirate.
Robert De Niro as a cross-dressing pirate!
 
I know, right? So why does no one talk about this movie anymore?
Well, there’s a few reasons, actually. It’s based on a graphic novel, so that’s a hit right there. Furthermore, it’s not graphically violent because it’s actually not trying to appeal to the audience the graphic-novel-conversion sort of movie normally appeals to. It’s, frankly, more of a chick-flick. So none of the nerds took it seriously, but because it’s kinda nerdy, no one else did either. It probably didn’t help that there was another “chick-oriented” movie in the works at this point that doubtlessly stole some thunder.
This movie got four sequels while Stardust is ignored. THIS IS WHAT HAS BECOME OF THE HUMAN RACE??!!?


The Adventures of Tintin

This is a rather recent addition to this list. Many would comment that this movie is too intense and violent for kids, but too kiddie for adults. The plot is extremely predictable, I had pretty much the whole thing figured from about fifteen minutes in plus the trailers, the motion-capture animation doesn’t really work for everyone, and it’s a movie that seems out of place amidst the more serious, grittier animated movies of today (Toy Story 3, Rise of the Guardians).
But I don’t get it. This movie had all of the heart, all of the fun, and all of the good times that I have come to expect from Spielberg in these situations. The kind of action and unhalting pacing that made the old Indiana Jones movies, the Goonies and Hook so much fun completely saturates this movie. From the very beginning till the last second of the film, you are pulled along on an adventure that runs from the streets of London, across the seas and through the skies to the Near East and back again. It’s a sprint from start to finish, and I would submit that having such a transparent plot is what makes this fabulous. Admit it. Indiana Jones never surprised you. But if you had the plot of Inception with the pacing of Tin-Tin, you’d end up with… well, seizures, probably. Comprehending thick plot that fast doesn’t work well, so we get a thin plot that throws us down a two hour stretch of rapids.
And I was laughing the entire time. It was so much fun.

John Carter

Based mostly on a sci-fi novel titled A Princess of Mars, this movie, made by Disney, took a lot of flak before everyone promptly and apparently unanimously decided to ignore it. I can see why. The trailers made it look silly. And it was. It completely ignores the fact that we have robots on Mars that conclusively prove the entire conceit wrong (this was not the case when the book was written). The story is simple, maybe a little predictable, the acting is fine, but certainly not fantastic, not helped at all by the trope-alicious writing. The whole movie, which received a ton of publicity, was just kinda “meh”. Okay, fine. All of this is true.
But it’s a summer blockbuster. What were you expecting? I was expecting cool effects, lots of fighting, and just some good, brainless fun. What I got was exactly that, in spades, in addition to something I wasn’t expecting.
A soul.
This movie has a reason for existing. It’s (again) a very chick-flick-ey reason, so maybe that’s the reason this didn’t fare well amidst the summer blockbuster crowd, but it’s better than the reason for Battleship, which as far as I can tell amounts to, “Hey HASBRO! Battleship = Transformers on the ocean! LOLZ!” John Carter, however, has this really touching love story to tie the whole thing together, with this wonderful little twist at the end that I didn’t see coming at all. Seriously, you think the whole movie is completely transparent and then a frikkin’ cherry tomato comes zinging out of right field and hits you in the eye. That tiny level of depth made this movie stand out amidst a whole lot of garbage the summer of 2012.

Cars 2

I don’t get all the belly-aching about this movie either. The most common complaint I’ve heard about it is that “it wasn’t up to Pixar’s usual standards.”
Okay then. It’s better than most animated movies even still, and I had way more fun in this movie than in UP. So what is your dish? It’s not the best Pixar movie ever. It didn’t blow my mind, I admit that freely. But it was fun, full of heart and morality, and Mater as a spy. It’s still a great kids movie. Why all the hate?
As near as I can tell, people hate this because it says Pixar at the beginning. This was a case of expectations that were not met, and people felt betrayed. But think about this, everyone. Pixar’s worst is still better than the huge majority of Disney’s work. You’d rather have another Cinderella sequel?
Because you all know this was a fantastic idea...

Then quit whining.

Titan A.E.

This one slid into the world completely under the radar, and has stayed there. I don’t remember any hype at all for this, and I didn’t see it until years after it had hit DVD. Then I saw it, still as a pretty young kid, and loved it. I saw it again when I was older, and still loved it. It’s a serious sci-fi adventure, no different from any other classic sci-fi movie other than the fact that it’s animated. It really is a diamond in the rough in that regard. This movie was among the first to combine computer rendered animation with traditional drawn animation, an effect that went into producing some of my favorite animated films, such as Treasure Planet, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Hercules, Tarzan, and The Iron Giant. It shares something else with Atlantis: The Lost Empire that I really loved, that it was co-written by Joss Whedon. It’s got the right kind of story, as anything written by Joss is bound to have. It’s got the right caliber of vocal talent, staring some folks you may have heard of like Matt Damon, Bill Pullman, and Ron Perlman. It looks good and it’s a blast to watch. It ticks all the right boxes, so why isn’t it as popular as the other films just mentioned?
I give you the power of Disney. Titan A.E. was poorly marketed, and what marketing there was confused the potential audiences. Without the marketing power of an entity like Disney (or Warner Bros. in the case of The Iron Giant), Titan A.E. flopped in the box-office and was pretty much never heard of again. All that anyone remembers is that they didn’t know anyone who saw it, and that what they saw or heard of it sounded “weird.” I can’t tell you how many people I’ve asked about this movie who said they didn’t like it when they’d never seen any of it.
So while I accept you probably don’t care about my opinion in regards to the other movies on this list, I’ve got a favor to ask here. Watch this film. It’s so much better than history gives it credit for. If nothing else, do it for the memory of Roger Ebert, who, believe it or not, genuinely enjoyed it.

Comments