What's All This About Mothers?

I don't often post about important things on this blog. I hope you all realize that. Opinions on the virtues and vices of various movies and TV shows isn't important. This may sound like blasphemy to some people out there, but computers aren't important either. I don't like to talk about really important things, especially in the form of a debate, because feelings in those situations often become hateful quickly, and nothing good can come of a discussion where hate is involved. But I'm going to break my pattern to say one thing right here.

Motherhood is the most important job on Earth.

There are plenty of people out there who might disagree with that. There are even people out there who would claim that motherhood is a cop-out, a sign of weakness in women too lazy to contribute something to the world. To those people, I have a simple set of instructions before we can continue with this.

Step 1: Go stuff your head in a meat grinder.
Step 2: Turn on said meat grinder.

I'm sorry if I implied this was a discussion. As with most things that are actually important, I base my stance on motherhood in personal experience and very extensive study and pondering, and as with most thing of this nature, I'm not interested in your argument. I have had this confirmed to me by powers higher than any humanity can offer, and I'm not backing down.

What I am endeavoring to do here is express a little appreciation for the mothers that have affected my life, but the fact of the matter is I am completely unequal to the task. Everything I am or ever will be, everything I have or hope to accomplish in this world speaks mainly to the influence of the women around me who carry that title.

There's a culture out there that would suggest that mothers are taking the easy way out of life, or that motherhood is a prison to be avoided. A part of this culture has given us "your mom" jokes. There was a time when insulting a man's mother was a good way to get yourself killed. I know we as a society are not into vigilante justice like we once were, and I'm not suggesting anything as drastic as killing, but since when has insulting mothers been okay? Mothers should be revered, and I'll be honest, I might just punch you the next time you insult a mother (especially for being a mother) within my earshot.

This is something I feel strongly about, in case you couldn't tell. Motherhood is more important than anything else humanity can do, and as a society we really ought to be giving credit where it's due. Because none of us would have accomplished anything without our mothers.

Kings and tyrants may rule,
Countries and nations may stand,
A man may rise or may fall,
May build a world with his hand,
But whatever title he holds,
Be it great, enormous, or grand,
Gives less power to mold
Than the title of Mother can.

There are not words to describe how I really feel about this, nor to describe how I feel about the mothers around me. I can only say thank you. To my mother for all the hurts she healed, tears she dried, and lessons she taught. To my wife for the love and tenderness she so perfectly exemplifies with our son. Even to my sisters who bossed me around when we were kids. I'll forgive you now, but only because you're doing a much better job with your own kids than you did with me.

To all of the mothers out there, thank you. It's utterly meaningless in comparison to what you have given and continue to give, but thank you anyways. There is a special place reserved on high for the women who have carried this title or acted in this capacity. My only hope is that they allow welding glasses in heaven.

Otherwise the rest of us won't even be able to see you through all that glory.

Comments