Why Comics Rock

I like books.


Books are a great source of entertainment that can provide an enormous amount of information in a format that allows you to digest what you're seeing at your own pace. They allow you to populate your own images into a world, and are entertainment that can be consumed in complete silence.

I like movies/TV.


The best things about these are their visual nature. You can see exactly what the person who created this story was thinking about, and they allow you to consume a lot of information very quickly. In addition, you get to bring music and dialogue into the picture as well, allowing yet another level of engagement.

But they both have their flaws.

Books don't enjoy the appeal of nicely crafted pictures. Movies don't give you the option to view at your own pace.

That's why I like comics.

The written word provides a format that allows you to read and digest the story at your own pace. The pictures give you another way to tell the story, giving the eye something to do and streamlining the story telling. You miss out on the advantages of auditory input, but that means that like a book, they can be enjoyed in complete silence. It's a wonderful combination.

Which is why I can't figure out why people don't take them seriously as a story telling medium.

Guys, you're not helping. Guys...?

I have read quite a few books that are nothing but fun. I've watched quite a few movies that held no value beyond the action. I've also seen a lot of both books and movies that are political or moral in nature. I have also seen all of those forms in comics. If you liked 1984, I've got a graphic novel I could refer you to that would make George Orwell seem tame. If you enjoyed movies like Pacific Rim and Transformers for the sheer scope of their action, I've got comics that will shame them both into the ground. If you liked MASH because it was hilarious and simultaneously thought provoking, do I need to point any further than Calvin and Hobbes? Books are one kind of greatness, film and TV are another. But I will stand here and say that comics have the potential to be better than them all.

Are they? Not mostly. Mostly, comics are still not taken seriously and are only consumed by a very limited range of people, who desire a very limited range of content. They want scantily-clad women and enormously muscular men in spandex punching space-mega-planet-eating-socerers into submission. This may work to match the action movie crowd, but even a badly written action movie has some semblance of a story.

Okay, that's not always true.

Don't get me wrong, comics are getting much better. They've come a long way from the days of hilarious self-narration and villains with motivations as thin as toilet paper (single-ply, even). But because the people who demand a high level of fidelity in their stories are all busy consuming movies and books, there isn't the demand for it in the comic world. But that doesn't mean it's not there.

This will destroy every preconception you have about graphic novels.

So what's my point? You should read some comics. Tell me what you're interested in, and I'll see if I can find you something. I'm a relative newcomer to this breed of entertainment, but I'll help if I can. I think you'll find that you're part of the target audience after all. As for me, I'm going to write some comics. Or rather, I've already started, and I'm going to continue. Because I think that this might be the best way to show you the worlds I have imagined. And as an author, being able to share those worlds with you people is what drives me to create.

Comments

  1. willworkforicecreamJune 29, 2014 at 2:45 AM

    I feel that comicbooks grab the best parts of both movies and books. They can tell a story in a very visual, cinematic way while still retaining the feelings of personal ownership by the reader. I feel really attached to the characters


    Also, if anyone out there is looking to get into comics, now is a great time. With both of the "Big 2" rebooting their universes three years ago, there are tons of good stories that aren't too far to catch up on. Lookin' at you Spider-Man #700. What I've noticed from a lot of new readers coming into the shop where I work (shameless Death Ray Comics in Logan, Utah plug[If you're looking for good places to start, come in and talk to us, especially the big guy with a beard and a giant dog]) is that you may be more comfortable checking out some books from the indie publishers.




    Superhero-wise, I suggest:

    The current run of Hawkeye. Seriously. It is really good. Don't be fooled by the Hawkeye part. If you're looking for a way to ease into reading superhero books, this is a great place to start. I'll let anyone borrow the first volume from me. If I can find out who currently has my copy.

    The current run of Miss Marvel. We're only 4-5 issues into this one and it is fantastic so far. If you're looking for a strong female protagonist, look no farther.

    The New 52 Batman. You can pick up the first three story arcs in trade paperback and they're great. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo are knocking it out of the park with this one.

    Batman Black and White. Just a bunch of stand alone Batman stories from various writers and artists.

    Superman: Red Son. Communist Supes. 'nuff said.

    Superior Spider-Man. I promise it is way better than it sounds. My brother and I do a podcast where all we do is talk about Spider-Man so I'll stop before I use up all the migs and megs on the Internet.



    That's probably enough from the tights and capes.

    Coming from places besides Marvel and DC, I recommend:

    I Kill Giants. This one gets me in the feels every time. If I could chose one graphic novel to show people why they read comics, it would probably be this book.

    Saga. This is some great and unique sci-fi. Not for kids. This may be the best ongoing story in comics right now. And there is a tree that is a rocketship.

    Scott Pilgrim. You should see them live. They're much better live.

    Ministry of Space. If you like space, you'll love this book. Warren Ellis does a great job with an alternate history account of the Brits doing a space program right.

    Superior. Mark Millar's answer to everyone who has a problem with Superman and illustrates why super heroes are so awesome. I'd also suggest everyone watch Superman vs. The Elite. It's on Netflix.

    Wild Blue Yonder. I don't know if this one will ever actually get finished, so it makes me sad. Other than that it is great. Imagine Crimson Skies got a comic.

    Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot. This book has some of the best art and narrative ever. It's like Pacific Rim but with good plot and excellent story telling. Here's an excerpt: "We are the stuff of your legends, the ancient voices hiss, your dragons of myth and story. We are the thunder lizards from your histories. The dinosaurs. You thought we were stupid things. Lumbering, dull-witted creates. But you were wrong! Ours was a glorious civilization -- a perfect society -- untainted by your fragile fantasies of love and mercy -- free from kindness and compassion and kisses and Christmas and Bar Mitzvahs and birthday parties..." and then a giant robot and a sea monster fight. The pages in this one are about twice the size of a regular comic and Geoff Darrow's art is about three times as great as most comic art, so that adds up to one crazy cool comic.

    Well, that was longer than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the first graphic novels I ever read was Maus in the 7th grade. Plus, I have to agree with Caleb that Calvin and Hobbes might be the best comic ever for humor and philosophical discourse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scratch what I said earlier. Tell Willworkforicecream what you're interested in, and he'll certainly find you something.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment