The 5 Best TV Theme Songs

This is kinda unusual for me, but the following list isn't in any particular order. I was having a hard time picking one, and I think that's because when it comes to music, my favorites change drastically based on what mood I'm in. But the following list speaks for itself pretty well, I think between the musicality of each song, the memorability of the themes, the quality of the production, and how happy it makes me. Happiness is a huge factor wherever music is concerned.

MASH

The theme song from MASH is probably among the most iconic in American television history. It's also probably one of the most heavily copy-protected. At least, that's what I assume based on the lack of existence it is currently exhibiting on YouTube. But let's be honest, you know what it sounds like. You've heard it a million times before. And if not, you can follow this link to the song from MASH the movie upon which it was based. In fact, if you've never heard this version of the song before, you should also follow that link. There's lyrics in this version, and they go a long way toward explaining why in the dickens the theme song is so derned melancholy.

Aside from the whole war thing, that is.

So why do I like this theme so much? Aside from being practically a national treasure, it's really pretty. Very melancholy, as I said before, but soothing and very melodic. It's extremely memorable, and is very well performed. It's a small ensemble piece, but that works very well for this theme.

The Andy Griffith Show

There is nothing complicated about this theme. The show it represents is very simple, the tune is extremely basic, and the arrangement is almost completely empty of accompaniment. But there, I think, lies its charm. The show is simple, the song is simple.

But it's also very musical. It's catchy, upbeat, melodic, and for lack of a better word, adorable. It is also the most iconic whistling tune ever. There's nothing particularly special about the production itself, just whistling and guitars, but without a doubt this song makes me happier than anything else on this list.

Stargate

I'm copping out again. I love both of these themes equally. I have switched back and forth between the two of them for quite a while and I just can't choose. Atlantis has a better production value. SG-1 is more musically complex. Atlantis has multiple themes woven through it. SG-1 is more memorable. And on and on and on.

Fact is, they're both epic, they're both memorable, they're both great music and they both give me goosebumps. So I'm picking both of them and there's nothing you can do about it.

And I have no idea what this is you're babbling about a "third show." It's probably heatstroke.

Star Trek Voyager

Yep, Voyager. Not The Next Generation. Voyager. And I'll tell you why.

TNG uses music from the fantastically scored Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Both themes are written by Jerry Goldsmith, but TNG/The Motion Picture is vastly superior as a piece of music to the Voyager theme. If I were allowing myself to use the version of that theme from The Motion Picture in this comparison, TNG would win outright.

But I'm only comparing the version used in the actual TV show and that's where that gap narrows. Fact is, that was a theme written for a 160 piece symphonic orchestra arranged for a 30 piece studio orchestra, and it shows. The recording itself sounds empty, the instrumentation sounds incomplete, and the strings sound weak. Voyager, however, is a great piece of music that was written for a studio orchestra. The music is haunting and beautiful, and the recording sounds far superior to the TNG theme. So Voyager wins.

And yeah, DS9 was in the running, but no, TOS wasn't. And that's all there were, right?

The Magic School Bus

Oh yes. This is here. Just listen to the beautiful incomprehensibility that is Lil Richard singing about science.

You just can't argue with that.

Comments

Post a Comment