The 5 Best Superhero Movie Themes

I am the king of "making these articles really specific so I don't have to leave any of my favorites out." Not sure if you noticed.

But I just have to talk about these themes. In the greater scheme of movie themes I love, only one, maaaaaybe two of these would make it into the top ten. But they're all fantastic, and four of them headline some of the best soundtracks ever.

On an unrelated note, notice the ratio of Marvel to DC in this list. I'm not saying Marvel is better than DC, but... Wait, no. That's exactly what I'm saying. Marvel is better than DC. But I digress.

I feel like it's important to point out that all five of these have a song on their soundtracks that is titled the same as the movie. That is important. If there isn't a title track of that nature, then it's almost like the movie didn't even have a theme. This is why most of Hans Zimmer's more recent work has left me feeling underwhelmed. Because there is nothing I love more than a good theme. Say it with me.

THEME.

Now, let's get started.


Number 5 - The Avengers

This is not an amazing soundtrack. It's passing fair. But the theme is excellent. Some would argue otherwise, and to you I would say "do you think I'm listening to this through rose-colored headphones?"

Well, of course I am. The aural properties are amazing.

Of course, it's not really the end credits where this thing shines. It might be in my top five just because of this scene.

I might be ten. It's possible.


Number 4 - Iron Man 3

There is a composer who's on this list twice. He's my new guy-to-watch in the music of Hollywood. Brian Tyler wrote a theme that totally nailed this movie. I mean, the movie was good in its own right, but this theme made it better. The movie isn't really about the Tony Stark we've all known from the first two movies, and I feel like it's important that the music deliver on that while still giving us a little of the old.

So here we have post Avengers Tony...

And here's the post Iron Man Tony.

Who is pretty much the old Tony plus some personal responsibility if we're honest.


Number 3 - X-Men: First Class

Henry Jackman got me really excited with this soundtrack. I was so excited to see what he would do next. Then he wrote the soundtrack for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I was disappointed. It's not a bad soundtrack, it's just not anywhere near as good as this.


This is the perfect fusion of everything I love about orchestral movie music and electronic movie music, and I couldn't be more pleased with the entire soundtrack. Lovely.


Number 2 - Thor: The Dark World

Here's Brian Tyler again. Some of you may know that the two composers I love the most for themes they have written in movies are John Williams and James Horner. This is an amazing imitation of their specific brand of instrumental music, and he does a good job of making it slightly Nordic without bringing in actual vikings.

But of course, even Brian Tyler isn't going to prevail against the king.


Number 1 - Superman

I swear the only genre of film music John Williams doesn't have the top spot in is westerns. Otherwise, every measure of staff this man puts his finger to is aural gold. BEHOLD!


I mean, it's so unarguably perfect that when John Ottman (who is no slouch in the superhero-theme business, just look at X2) was tasked with writing the score to a sequel to the films headed by this theme, he used the exact same theme in the opening credits and throughout the movie. Nearly note for note. I'm still trying to figure out what Hans Zimmer was thinking with Man of Steel.

So yeah, I will hear of no disputes with this being here. But what about the other entries on the list? Any you would move? Any you would change? Let me know in the comments!

Comments