November

It's the last day of November, in case that wasn't obvious. I've done a lot this month, and I've had a few realizations along the way.

First! It was NaNoWriMo (NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth). For anyone who doesn't know what that is, it's basically a challenge in which participants try to write a novel of at least 50,000 words in a month. This was my second year participating, and this year I signed up for the challenge on their website and everything. And guess what?

I won!

I mean, I wrote a novel that was 50,000 words long. I did it last year as well, but I was writing pretty much right up to the wire and when I was finished, I looked back at what I'd written and threw up a little in my mouth. This year I finished almost ten days early and the novel actually turned out nicely. I'm planning on revising it to the point where I'm not ashamed of it. That will take some time, but I plan on having it done in time to drop another 50,000 words on something totally unrelated next year.

Second! I made a brochure for a non-profit organization and assisted in the creation of a number of other documents they needed. This was done for a class, but the products of my group's labor are legit. The experience was eye-opening as far as my ability to use my talents to contribute to worthy causes.

Third! Thanksgiving happened. This may not seem like a big deal to some of you, but I rolled out some pie dough and it actually held pie. And tasted good. This was a first to me, and even though it resulted in my wife telling me she hated me (her initial attempts had not met with much success), I still felt pretty good about it.

Last! I put up Christmas lights. On my house. A house that I own and care about enough to put up Christmas lights. So that was nice.

In essence, I've had a really busy month with lots of little challenges and I'm coming away from it feeling really good about life. Does that seem like a contradiction to you?

"Times were hard and I'm super happy about it!"

Yeah, I can see where that might seem weird to some people, but you know what? I'm down with it. I was doing stuff that I enjoy, and even though there was hard stuff, pushing through it made the end result that much sweeter. I have made things I'm proud of, and I don't think there is any better reward.

So take a minute to look at the hard things you have to do today. Or this week, or this month, or whatever. Look at them, right in the eyes, then point your finger at them threateningly and say "You are not going to stop me from accomplishing what I want to." Really growl it out. And then give them a good shove. They might not fall away right then, but if you keep pushing at them, you'll get through them, and I promise it's worth it.

And for those of you who are facing worse things than "how do I put margins on this brochure without making it look stupid" or "how am I going to stretch this chapter out another 2,000 words when I have nothing left to say," keep going! It's hardest for you, but keep your hopes up and your faith nourished. When you finally reach the other side, not only will you have conquered and proven to yourself that you are stronger than your trials, but you'll be a better, stronger person for having done it.

Keep on keepin' on. You got this.

Comments