The Island of Doctor Moreau

I've heard references to this book for years. It seems like every piece of modern sci-fi is required to mention Moreau or his creatures. People or animals are described as Moreauvian in nature. But I never had any idea what that meant. And if you haven't read the book, I'm not going to tell you. The fact is, that reference is going to carry a lot more weight with me now, and saying someone looks Moreauvian is suddenly fantastic characterization. So, you know, read the book.

Fun game. Go type a word like Moreauvian into Google and see what comes up. Pro-tip: Safesearch is your friend.

The story itself is, appropriately, suspenseful and mysterious. The way you discover information is enjoyable, and the actions of the main character in response to these discoveries isn't contrived. I wouldn't have reacted the same way, but then this guy is very different than me for a number of reasons. He's a touch oversensitive and maybe a little racist. Could very well be that Wells himself was a little racist, but it's hard to put a finger on that, honestly.

See, H.G. Wells' dislike for England's colonial practices was no secret. But I can't decide if this book is saying "stop trying to 'civilize' the natives, they were fine before we showed up!" or "stop trying to civilize the savages, once a savage always a savage!"

You see what you expect, and it's pretty easy to expect this of early 20th century authors who deal with British colonialism.

I can see support for both themes. I personally am going with the reading that doesn't paint Wells as an egotistical racist. And I do that because it doesn't seem like he'd be arguing on behalf of the victims of English colonization if he felt all that superior. You know, because hypocrisy.

But I guess hypocrisy is a thing because some people can pull off mental leaps like that.

Anywho, I personally read this book as a warning against the dangers of a cultural superiority complex. You can read it however you like. But read it. It is, if nothing else, excellent sci-fi. Again Wells takes a technology that would have been familiar to his readers and pushes it to what he sees as the logical end of that scientific pursuit. It's good stuff, and comes highly recommended.

Comments