A Love Letter to Lisa Kelly's Voice

A while ago I wrote this article about my favorite vocalists. And ever since then I've felt kinda bad. I'm not changing my tune, by any means. Amy Lee and Hayley Westenra are my favorite singers, and I'll stand by that. But number three is so very very close, and she didn't get mentioned in that article at all despite the fact that I would be hard pressed to give you three reasons why I don't like her as much as Amy and Hayley.

(reason 1: I haven't heard her sing a wide range of music, it's all been pretty focused on the world/new age genre.)

But that's really a shame, because while it is technically true that I don't rank her as high personally as Hayley and Amy, every time I listen to her sing I melt ever so slightly inside. Because she really is just as talented as Hayley or Amy, and her voice has a particular quality to it that is just amazing.

(reason 2: She hasn't released much in the way of music. Only one solo album, and then Celtic Woman, albums on which she doesn't sing nearly as many solos as I want from her. So there may be a little spite in there.)

So, that being the case, this is my shoutout to Lisa Kelly, my third-favorite vocalist and the owner of one of the most golden sets of pipes I've ever heard.


(reason 3: Um... See, I told you I'd be hard pressed to think of three.)

I've mentioned before what I really think about Lisa Kelly. She's got a rare gift that allows her to sing anything and make it sound good. Lyrics don't matter, whether she's singing in a language you don't understand or working with lyrics that plain don't make sense. What she is singing is utterly secondary to one very important fact.

She's singing.

And that's all that matters. If she would release more albums, I would buy them without hesitation. As it is, I own every song she's released that I've been able to get my hands on, and I wish there were more. If you've never heard her before, look up her solo album, or one of her solos with Celtic Women. Then you can join me in that utter longing for more songs, dangit! MORE!

So there it is. Third favorite doesn't sound that great, but in this case at least, it really is. It really, really is. And for those of you who are wondering, my fourth favorite is probably Enya. And for those who are wondering if any of my favorite vocalists are men, nope.

Sorry, guys.

Comments