Revisited: My Top 10 Favorite Movies

This is a topic I've needed to come back to several times since I originally wrote part 1 and part 2 of this list. Once was when the number 10 spot was taken from Advent Children by Pacific Rim. Then again when Guardians of the Galaxy took the number 6 spot and pushed Pacific Rim off the bottom (poor Pacific Rim. Only on the list for a year). And then X-Men: Days of Future Past and Avengers: Age of Ultron came out and made things confusing.
Thanks, Google!

See, I love both of those movies. And if I were feeling like kicking stuff off the list, I'd put them in fourth and first positions, respectively. But that only assumes that they would be replacing the movies that are currently in those spots (X-Men: First Class and The Avengers, again respectively). Because they don't cause list shift; it's just that if somebody were to ask me to watch First Class, I'd say "how about Days of Future Past instead?"
To which most sane people happily repsond, "Sure!"

But it's not even that simple. See, I've been down that road, and the whole time I was watching Days of Future Past I kept thinking "boy, First Class is awesome." So the next time I picked First Class, and spent the run time of that movie wanting to see Quicksilver running around a kitchen.
Which is a perfectly legitimate and also lame way of describing one of the greatest scenes in film history.

So the list isn't just being reorganized, it's also being restructured. And I'm introducing a matrix to the hierarchy. Meaning I no longer have a top ten list, I have a top ten array.

Because I'm weird like that. Live with it.
Right-click and open in a new tab to see in a readable size.

So what does this mean for those stacks? In essence, those are marathon material. The one on the bottom is the one I like better, but I'll watch one of them and then immediately after finishing it want to watch the other. You'll notice the serial nature to those stacks. That's as a result of the phenomenon I just explained.

Now is it possible that a movie will be so awesome that I'll move The Avengers down one spot on the list? Absolutely. And at that point it's likely that even if I like Age of Ultron better than whatever that movie is (Captain America: Civil War, anyone?), it would move down one spot with The Avengers. Being integrally tied to another movie in that way can be a weakness as well.

So there you go. I had to get this out there before all of my favorite TV shows start back up again and I lose focus on movies entirely. On a related note, a revision of this list will probably be forthcoming.

Comments