Random Thoughts Ep. 3

Responding to a bad pun by saying "you're so pun-larious" (instead of "you're so punny") would really confuse the snot out of some people, and I'm 100% going to start doing it.
_______________________________

This image was generated by an inspirational poster AI called InspiroBot (you can request your own). That means that the image and words are all machine generated based on thousands of scanned inspirational Facebook posts and other related malarky, and in general it's silly and incomprehensible. But this one...

This one has been messing with my mind.

So, if you can't think of something, you're an idiot or not human? So what if I don't understand what this is saying, does that mean I'm an idiot? Or not human? Or is the suggestion that idiots aren't human? And what does the banana have to do with it? Is it a suggestion that idiots are bananas? Simply an observation that bananas have no humanity? Or could it be saying that if you're not human, or if you're an idiot (meaning you're not human), you're actually a banana? So does that mean that if I think this image is unthinkable, I'm actually an idiot who's not human because I'm an idiot and by extension because the absence of humanity indicates a banana, I'm actually a banana?

I am unreasonably disturbed right now, guys.
______________________________

Your words are fine. I have come across so many people who are self-conscious about the way they write, or the way they speak. They're hesitant to speak up if they have something valid to say, they gravitate toward the over-use of abbreviations and symbols in their written communication. Sometimes they hide behind a show of over-confidence, sometimes they're just generally nervous. This has never been something I've struggled with. Words, and the act of stringing them together, has always been one of my strengths. It came so naturally to me, in fact, that I used to assume that people who did not write or speak as "well" as me were somehow less intelligent than I was.

A lifetime of experience has revealed that to be, uh... very false. I am what I would call "conversationally proficient" in a wide range of things, meaning I can converse coherently about lots of stuff. But this does not indicate actual knowledge regarding a topic, trust me. Frequently my "brilliance" is a thin veneer of artfully crafted prose hiding a yawning gulf in my understanding of whatever it is we're talking about. Including, possibly, this. You be the judge.

But I recognize something now. Are your words sincere? Are they your best words? Are they yours? Then they're fine. The context doesn't matter, if you're using your own, best voice and you're being honest, both with yourself and whoever you're communicating with, then the words you're using are the right ones. Communication is important; it's something we've all been working on most of our lives, and it's something we should all keep working on till we die. But wherever you are right now is just perfect.

Keep up the good work.

Comments

  1. Oddly, your last words are very comforting to me. Thanks! 😘

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment