A Brief But Otherwise Characteristic Rant

Harry Gregson-Williams. Known around these parts as "the Hollywood composer I love yet frequently forget exists." He's talented, prolific, and now even more threatened with obscurity than he was before.

Look, I think part of the reason I have a hard time keeping tabs on the guy is that his name just isn't that easy to keep track of. Not that it's hyphenated, but the fact that it's a generic first name tacked onto two generic last names, and, I don't know... I just can't remember the guy without putting some effort into it. And you know what's been making that even worse as of late??

Rupert Gregson-Williams.

Freaking... like, that's not even fair. You've got one talented composer with an impossible to remember last name and you want to throw another one at me with exactly the same impossible to remember last name?? C'mon! What sucks is that Rupert, who hasn't been in the game for as long as Harry, composes movies very much in the same vein as Harry, and his style (heavily Williams' influenced neo-classical) is virtually indistinguishable from Harry's!

In just the past few years he's composed soundtracks for several major blockbusters, including Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Hacksaw Ridge, and The Legend of Tarzan, all of which I thought were composed by Harry Gregson-Williams and which made me very confused when I couldn't find evidence of any of them when I went looking under Harry's iTunes catalogue!!!

*hee-hoo*hee-hoo*hee-hoo*

Sorry. Just wanted to get that out there. I don't know exactly what the odds are of two composers working in blockbusters having the exact same hyphenated last name, but I'm willing to bet they're pretty lousy. I just wish it would'a been someone I could remember more easily it had happened to.

Oh, wait. Of course. They're brothers. It's like you jerks are doing this to me on purpose.

Comments