Random Thoughts Ep: 4

Replace "said nobody ever" with "said everybody never".
  • Technically still what you meant to say,
  • Just unusual enough to make whoever you're talking to double-take.
This message brought to you by the Foundation For A Weirder World
____________________________

The phrase "there's an assassin around" changes its meaning drastically based on how you place the emphasis on the syllables in 'assassin.'
____________________________

I read a quote the other day that sums down to "I have a cat because caring for a living being forces me out of cycles of self-pity and depression."

Huh. An ounce of self-reflection reveals that's exactly what caring for my kids does for me, and what is sometimes accomplished by my various hobby projects. The issue with those projects is that if I slack off for a day, or a week, or longer, the computer/book/comic/game I'm supposed to be working on just sits and waits. It doesn't, you know... die. So it's an imperfect motivator. And since my kids aren't around all the time...

Well, the obvious take-away is I need to get a cat.
____________________________

I have a favorite season, and a favorite holiday, and a favorite color. Most people seem to have those covered, but that's not all. I have a favorite genre of music, and a favorite style within that genre. I have a favorite genre of movie, and a favorite style of movie within that genre, and a favorite movie overall. A ranked list of ten, in fact, that's in need of some updating. I also have a favorite genre of long-form TV show, and a favorite series within it. And a favorite episode from that series. I have a favorite phone. I have a favorite laptop. I have a favorite desktop computer. I have a favorite computer mouse. I have a favorite keyboard. All of those imply that there's multiple options in those categories, which also suggests I personally have more than one of most of those things. Which is true.

I clearly don't have a hard time picking favorites, but ask me what my favorite food is. Go ahead, ask.

Thanks for asking. It's pizza. "Well, clearly you have a favorite food as well," I hear you saying, but no. Stop for a second. Why is my favorite food "pizza" and not a specific kind of pizza? It's because you can make "pizza" as a concept taste like just about anything you want, and I cannot pick my favorite food. I just can't. Answering "pizza" gets people to leave me alone because they don't think of all the implications of that answer, but guys... I just really don't know.

It's paralyzing.

Comments