Shall We Playtest The Whole Game?

This is it, people! This is the moment! The entire game is mechanically playable!

I wrote down the combat rules and progressions, then started plucking at some character rules and progressions. I feel like I've successfully managed to integrate the two while also leaving them largely de-coupled, so you can progress your combat ability and your role-playing completely independently of each other while both still feel like valid, important things to do.

If you refer back to the beginning of this whole thing, you'll see that that was one of the primary goals of development here. Objective number 3. And with this development I do feel like I've managed to hit both that and number 1. Number 2 hasn't been forgotten, it's just that in order to have clearly delineated upgrade paths defined, I need to have mechanics to inform them, which means all this other stuff has got to get good first. Once I'm happy with the overall mechanics of play, then I can go heads-down on writing out the set-dressing and context needed to inform the upgrade paths. All I have right now is enough detail to do character creation and a few early-game play sessions.

So we're ready to playtest the whole game! That said, if you clicked on that link and looked at the post date you'll notice that I'm actually just past the stated goal of having something "playable" by six months. The intent was that I'd have something you could pick up on my itch.io page by now. Unfortunately, that timeline has slipped. Sorry. This is mechanically "playable", but it's not in a state of completion sufficient to be playable if I'm not at the table.

But if you do want to help me test it out, consider yourself invited! Get into those comments below this post (on the actual blog, I check comments on Facebook, like... never) and let me know if you want to be a part of a testing group, and we'll see what we can do. Or you can touch base with me on Twitter or Discord. The game is coming along, and who knows, with your help we might be able to move even faster!



Comments