Another Fish Sammy

I'm not really sure why I did this. I was high off the success of identifying Arby's non-roast-beef sandwiches as actually being surprisingly good, I suppose. Drunk with the elixir of "I got lucky once and thought it was a pattern" I saw a fish sandwich on a sign in the window of a Carl's Jr and thought to myself "Hey kid, go eat that thing."

I feel like I might be shoeing the cart before the horse with the tone of that paragraph, but I just want it to be clear that my intention was never to just eat fish sandwiches for the rest of time. I want a burger next, man. Or maybe a chicken sandwich. Some nice grilled meat with veggies and bread, something simple, something easily understood. Just a normal, average burger. Therein lies my trepidation regarding this topic; no fault need be laid at the feet of the venerable Carl or his equally geriatric(?) Junior.

No fault need be laid thus to explain my attitude, indeed, but that doesn't mean there is no fault to be found at the throne of SMILING STARS. My first impression is that even in a bag filled with burgers the scent of the fish fillet did manage to overpower the char-broiled beef within a few minutes of being in my car. That was unexpected to say the least. Also somewhat surprising was the packaging of the sandwich, which was equivalent to the most basic fast food delivery available from competing chains. It's maybe too much to read into here but I dimly suspect that the house of Carl may be running upon hard times, comparatively speaking, that they package even their most expensive sandwiches thusly.

That's not to say this is one of their most expensive sandwiches, however. In cost it's actually slightly below the Arby's fish thing, which makes it cheaper even than the MerdleDaffle's fish-fil-AAAAAAAAAAAAA! The bar for success here is therefore quite low, and peeling back the bun does inspire some confidence. That is a breaded fish patty, there's plenty of sauce, and lo; pickles. And with a bite we are thenceforth off, ascending once more unto the races.

In a nutshell, this sandwich is nearly jaw-breakingly crunchy. Outside of a nutshell it's more like a sandwich. The fish notes of the fish are fishworthy. It's very fishy. Some pomp was made regarding the breading on the fillet via the available advertising materials, but whether that pomp was deserved I cannot say given the overfishing fishiness of the fish. Fish fish. I wouldn't describe the flavor as unpleasant, simply quite strong, and if you aren't generally a fan of the taste of fish, who-oo boy can I point you toward a sandwich you should not eat.

That would be this one. Or frankly any sandwich made with fish as the primary protein. Why are you even here?

Carl's Jr's mai'n standout feature on this sandwich is honestly probably the tartar sauce, which in contrast to the other fished sammiches I've sampled thus far, is genuinely tart. They're bringing tartar back. If this were your first experience with Carl's Jr, you'd be forgiven for mistaking them for a bakery given the sheer tart-ness of this sauce. CARL'S JR: WE HAVE THE TARTS. It's a strong flavor, again not unpleasant, but again, if you're not looking for a tart fish sandwich, who-oo boy can I seriously ask why you're here again? 

This may as well be "tart fish sandwich: the movie" for all the bluntness of the title, pictures, and basically everything else.

To finish then I will simply observe that as a total package this was a mild disappointment and I preferred the Arby's fish sandwich. But there's no denying that for less money you get way more and better flavor buying fish from Carl's Jr than from MagathaDrobbles. It's a conclusion I'm sure you were all dying for. Now that you have it, you can stop being dead.

Guys? Did you hear me? You can stop being dead now.

Guys?

Comments

  1. Morty’s advertised a fish burger- with locally sourced fish! I was very excited until I realized it was April 1st. 😔 why would they joke about that?? I want a delicious gourmet trout burger!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment