The Great Young Ones

Hey, so remember that game jam I was participating in? PocketQuest 2022? Remember how I said it would be over at the end of July? Did I say that? Honestly not sure, and I'm too lazy to go check. In any case, the end of July has passed, and the game, she is finished!

You'll find links below to purchase digital or physical copies (worth noting as of this writing I haven't seen the physical copy yet, so I can't vouch for the quality. But I've worked with this printer before, so I'm confident it'll be good). Also a link to download the stand-alone character sheet and the game's brochure, because yes, I did in fact make a brochure for the game.

I promise that makes perfect sense once you realize that the setting of the game is a summer camp geared toward the incomprehensible offspring of the Great Old Ones of Lovecraftian origin. The brochure is an in-universe advertisement for the camp itself. The character sheet is an in-universe artifact as well, come to think of it. Despite the weirdness of the setting the game is actually pretty accessible; I was playing it with my six-year-old a few weeks back, and he loved it. The aim of the game is simply to create a weird camper to play as and then cooperatively work with other players to win the cabin cup by excelling in activities like rowing, fire starting, and hiking.

You know, summer camp stuff.

The tone is very lighthearted and fun, and the full game should only take 1-2 hours despite technically being a full-on TTRPG. It breaks into multiple play sessions pretty easily too, just let players hang onto their cards while you break. There are some bizarre implications to the game being about eldritch horrors going to summer camp, which I like to think the flavor text throughout the book takes full advantage of to be entertaining. But if you don't explain the Cthulhu mythos or cosmic horror to your kids, I'm pretty confident they'll just have a good time. 

So go grab a copy! Tell your friends to grab a copy! Get the brochure printed on nice paper at a place that does full-bleed printing (make sure you tell them it's short-edge-bound) and put it on your coffee table as a conversation starter for guests so you can tell them to go grab a copy! I promise it's a good time.

Digital copies - DriveThruRPG.com

Physical copies - Lulu.com

Character sheet & brochure - itch.io

Comments