**Uncontrollable Eye Twitching**

Sometimes I feel like my degree is a joke. It's an English degree with an emphasis on technical and professional communication, an emphasis of study that carries with it the bizarre honor of being basically the only way you can get a Bachelor's of Science, instead of a Bachelor's of Arts, out of most English departments. Which always struck me as odd, considering it's probably the least BS course of study you can get from most English departments.

My degree was pretty easy for me. The concepts surrounding the layout and organization of communication were logical, and seemed generally to be common sense. The main skill I feel like I learned in the course of my studies was honestly how to sound like I know what I'm talking about regardless of whether or not I actually do. That and logo design. The tools I was taught to use were generally pretty low-hanging fruit, and while I might be faster with most word-processing software than the average jane, I don't feel like I know how to generate documented information significantly better than most people. I just happen to like doing it, and so I get paid for it. Hence why my degree sometimes feels like a joke.

But every now and then I come across a heaping pile of informational bull$&!# like this flyer that somebody generated for a community celebration I happened to want to attend. Glance over that garbage and see if you can't spot a few issues.

Did you notice how it's basically impossible to tell what time crap is at? Take a look at Friday; what time could you get dinner at a food truck? And where would the food trucks even be? Same thing on Saturday! Are the food trucks available starting at 2? Or 9AM?? Information grouping on this flyer is essentially non-existent, and as far as I can tell that's basically just because some idiot really wanted that dumb can on the page and insisted on using two columns for absolutely no reason! What does two columns gain you here? Nothing! But what do you loose? The ability to linearly associate times and places with specific events!!!

Anywho, turns out the two years I spent studying document layout and communication design in college weren't a joke after all, and y'all need to maybe go take a few classes yourselves. Or just give me a call. My rates for flyers like this one are very affordable.

Comments