Revisited Again: The 5 Best TV Shows

Yes yes, AGAIN. You're not wrong, we've done this twice before. But magnificently, the core list from the first article is actually changing a little bit! We're going to talk about spots 4 and 5 today, meaning that MASH's status is changing. So let's break the trend and start with the lower number, shall we?

#4 - Agents of SHIELD


Yes, MASH has been dethroned. Reason for this? They added the whole thing to Netflix since the last time I revisited this list, and I watched a big chunk of it. It's still amazing TV. Hilarious, dramatic, real, full of heart and characters I love. But AoS is also all of those things and falls into a genre I prefer with longer episodes more focused on advancing larger stories. I am a sucker for a well told story in TV, and while episodic shows still dominate my favorite TV spots, they're all longer form (at least 45 minute episodes). So really MASH loses out solely based on it's sitcom-ish components.

Like I said, still amazing TV. But after 4 increasingly amazing seasons, AoS is the one I like better.

#5 - Whatever Hasn't Disappointed Me Yet/Whatever I'm Watching Now

Yes, this is still basically the same ball of wax. I'm watching several shows that I love. Some of these are unchanged, but at least one brand new one is blowing my mind entirely. Let's start by reviewing the previous entries that were already in here.

Daredevil


The second season of Daredevil was not as good as the first, but the characters are still amazing and I still love the show dearly. In addition we also got a season of The Defenders, which heavily featured my man Charlie Cox as Daredevil, cementing him as by far the best character in the whole Netflix-Marvel franchise. So this show retains its spot.

The Great British Baking Show


There have been major shakeups across the pond, but as of this point they haven't affected the seasons of TGBBS we get in the US. So for now this show retains its spot, though with three quarters of the talent leaving (Paul, objectively the least entertaining, is the only one sticking around), that may change in the coming year.

Wynonna Earp


A new entry! Wynonna Earp debuted last year on Syfy, and with an interesting premise, entertaining characters, quality acting, and a strong female protagonist, it's a winner. I read the show described as "Jessica Jones with a more enthusiastic protagonist," and I feel like that's pretty accurate. The first season is on Netflix right now, the second season will finish airing soon, and a third season is scheduled for release next year. I'm on board for the foreseeable future.

The Orville


So hey, you know the first time I wrote this article? You remember what number 1 was? I have been seriously tempted to just lump this thing in with those. Because The Orville, new for 2017 from Fox and Seth Macfarlane, is the best new Star Trek I have seen since Voyager finished airing. No, it's not technically Star Trek. But so far it is literally everything good about Star Trek. The optimistic future and interesting setting, the diverse cast that doesn't draw attention to its diversity because in the future diversity is just normal, the self-contained stories that tackle complex sci-fi and social issues with consideration and intelligence, and like-able characters that are all well developed and get focused on in turn.

The one difference is that The Orville has lots more humor than Star Trek did. That's a side-grade more than an improvement, but it doesn't detract at all from what makes the show great. And don't let the fact that it's Seth Macfarlane humor put you off. It's way less crude than something like Family Guy. He's not trying to be "edgy" with this show, he's just trying to make good Star Trek, because it turns out Seth is a huge trekkie.

I've got a lot of good to say about this. Maybe after season 1 I'll do a full review. Suffice it to say that it has earned its spot on this list with ease.

Comments