211

A while ago (about 11 posts ago, weirdly) I blew past my 200th post without even realizing it. I feel bad about that. You didn't do anything to deserve this kind of treatment, post 200. Though, I mean, you would have made me happier if I'd actually noticed you coming and written a "yay 200" post instead of the review of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom that actually fills that space, but... well, that's in the past.

And this is the present! And in this present I just wanted to take a minute to reflect on all the things I've learned over the... jeez, I missed the 8 year anniversary of the blog too. That was on September 27th.

I'm not very good at this whole 'commemoration' thing.

Oh well. Reflection. I'm pretty good at reflection, and as depressing as that is in general over the past six months, well, this blog has been with me through a lot. Through dating, falling in love, getting married, through starting school, changing majors, finding a career, and graduating. Through having two kids and learning how to be a parent, through discovering new hobbies and refining old ones, through periods of happiness and finally the depression and violent upheaval that's torn through my family over the past year. This blog tracks pretty much the full gamut of my experiences, from bliss to agony, from carefree to stressed-out-of-my-mind, and when I scroll back through the whole thing and look at all these posts, remembering what my life was like when I wrote them, I realize something about myself.

I never stopped being the escapist I was as a kid.

The ratio of posts that deal with real-world stuff vs. posts that are about totally incidental garbage like movies, video games, books, or linguistics, is simply ridiculous. I have been using this blog for much of the past 8 years to focus my mind away from stressors in my life in much the same way I use playing video games, working on computers, watching tv, or writing books. In large part I suppose that's what hobbies are for anyway.

But what's made this space so special is that it's easy. I don't have content restrictions, I don't have to plot anything but the loosest structure for these posts, and I get to write using my own voice, totally heedless of what it's doing for anybody else but me. It's unrestricted, basically journal writing, and in that way it has fulfilled perfectly the desire I stated in my 100th post, that this simply be a place where I can spout whatever inane garbage I want.

So thanks, My Valley. You've been a wonderful outlet. And thanks to all you frequenters as well. You don't comment much (read: at all), but that was never the point. Happy little bar graphs that track your views are a nice treat for me. And since I've made the goal of including a picture on every post, here. Have a picture of the sunrise I took on my way to work the other day.

And also, you lovely people have a wonderful day

Comments

  1. Has it been that long?? I often wish I was a consistent blogger- maybe viewing it as a journal would help! Here's to the next 211 posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your 211th post. I have set a lot of posts in my day building fences and what not. Once I even helped set a big elelectal post. I have posted letters and eaten Post cereal. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback, I'll keep you posted.

      Delete
  3. I prefer to call it "imaginative" rather than escapist, and it really is how you play, which is as important for you as an adult as it was for you as a child! Wow, do I sound like a mother or what! ��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment